Have you ever had a realization that you have turned into a mean person? “Why am I so insensitive?” Have you been asking yourself this question? Sometimes life unfolds in mysterious ways leaving us bitter and insensitive.
There are a lot of reasons someone becomes an insensitive person. Sometimes you are just not in the right frame of mind or you’ve had a couple of bad experiences and being polite or sensitive is the last thing on your mind.
If you have been finding it difficult to be sensitive to others, let me tell you, you’re not alone. Many people simply lack empathy and choose to be insensitive to others. However, it’s important to know the reason behind insensitivity so that you can become a better person.
In this blog, we will discuss a few important topics like signs you’re an insensitive person, why someone becomes an insensitive person, and how to stop being insensitive…
Shall we begin?
Signs Of An Insensitive Person:
It is quite possible for people to not be able to judge how sensitive or insensitive a person you have become. If you have been rude to people around you or your friends and family have been complaining about you having a bit of an attitude, there is a chance that you have been insensitive to others.
Here are some signs you’ve become an insensitive person;
1. You’ve been ignoring your body language: your body language is the first thing that gets noticed by people around you. Having insensitive body language can hurt people even if you don’t utter mean words.
2. You’ve been raising your voice: losing your temper or raising your voice at people can easily be understood as an insensitive move. It makes other people feel that you don’t respect them and can lash out at anyone irrespective of their age or gender or designation, etc.
3. You easily reject others’ opinions: think about the last few conversations you had with others. Have you been ignoring their opinions and only talking about yours? Not considering other people’s opinions is a sign you’ve turned into an insensitive person.
4. You don’t make an effort to make people feel valued: you easily forget people’s names, you don’t look at them while having a conversation, and you forget to acknowledge and respect their time and boundaries.
5. You forget to appreciate others’ efforts: how many times have you shown gratitude to the people who have been working for you? It is insensitive to not notice and appreciate other people’s efforts and just dismiss the hard work they put in.
Reasons “Why People Think You are Insensitive?”
It’s not very difficult to spot an insensitive person. But it is difficult to notice if you are being insensitive to others. If people around you are hinting you’ve become insensitive, try looking for the signs of an insensitive person in you.
I’m sure once you’ve identified your insensitive streak, knowing why you’ve become insensitive is the next question in mind. Knowing the cause of your insensitivity can help you rectify your mistakes and become a better person.
Let’s have a look at some common causes that can make a person insensitive;
1. Brain Chemistry: every brain has its mechanism and the number of chemicals released by the brain can also differ. The idea of sensitivity can be influenced by certain brain chemicals.
2. Thought process: our thought process is completely dependent on the kind of experiences we’ve had in life. Insensitive people have very different thought processes. They often insult and disrespect others and term their behavior as constructive criticism, which it’s not.
3. Anger: anger is one reason people become insensitive to others. It’s a widely known fact that people lose control when they are angry. Therefore, when anger controls you, being insensitive to others tops the list of damage anger brings in.
4. Stress: being in stressful situations can make you less empathetic towards others therefore hurling out insensitive comments under stress is common. When you’re under extreme stress thinking about others’ feelings is the least of your concerns.
5. Low self-esteem: it is one reason why you have become an insensitive person. When you have low self-esteem you make others feel bad or look down upon them just to boost yourself up.
How To Stop Being Insensitive?
Being insensitive to others is not a good thing. If you have been ignoring others’ sentiments and emotions, you’re not alone. Also, there is still a chance to redeem yourself. Let’s begin with learning how to stop being insensitive and later you can work on improving your relationships too.
Here’s how to stop being insensitive;
Try considering and accepting others’ points of view and opinions
Be grateful for the work other people have done for you
When angry, think before you speak
Try some breathing exercises when stressed rather than lashing out on someone else
Engage in regular meditation, it will increase your awareness making you more empathetic
Always let others explain their side of the story before you give out a judgment
Make sure you accept and acknowledge the effort (big or small) they make
Be humble and open to accepting your mistakes
Be mindful of your thoughts and actions
That’s All Folks!
I hope you found this blog that answered your questions about “Why am I so insensitive?”. Being insensitive toward other people can harm their mental health.
It’s important to be a sensitive person, it can not only have a positive influence on your mental well-being but also help you build strong relationships.
Thanks for reading.
Take care and stay safe.
The post “Why Am I So Insensitive?” Signs and Reasons appeared first on Calm Sage – Your Guide to Mental and Emotional Well-being.